SHOW YOU KNOW
1. How do we call a periodof very hot weather?2. How do we call a heavy snowstorm?1. Heatwave2. Blizzard.
Complete the words and phrases:
1. Which tense do we useto talk about futurearrangement ?Give an example.2. Which word is missing?… we go to the cinema thisevening?1. Present Continuous.We are leaving tomorrow.2. Shall we go to the cinema this evening?
1. What question tag dowe use after Let’s …? Give an example2. What question tag do we use after Don’t…? Give an example1. shall weLet’s go to the park, shall we?2. will youDon’t eat much ice-cream,will you?
Change the questions into indirect questions using the words in bold. 1. Do you like spicy food? wonder2. Where is the nearest cinema? tell1. I wonder if you like spicy food. 2. Could you tell me where the nearest cinema is?
1. Which of these verbs is followed by the –ing form? plan| suggest | hope2. Which of these do we not say? would prefer| would rather| had better1. suggestThey suggested going to the park.2. would preferI prefer reading books rather than watching TV.
1. Which Australian cityhas a famous OperaHouse?2. What kind ofmagazine tells you about holidays?1. Sidney2. A holiday brochure
1. What does unless mean?Give an example2. What does as long asmean?Give an example1. Unless means except if.I’ll come unless it rains.2. As long as means the same as only if.You can use my cameraas long as you give it back in the evening.
Use phrasal verbs with off to complete the sentences. 1. The burglars stole a video player and _______ in a red car.2. Before you go into the lab, please _________ your shoes. 1. The burglars stole a video player and made off in a red car.2. Before you go into the lab, please take off your shoes.
1. How many parts of a computer can you name?2. Where do you pay in a supermarket?1. mousefloppy diskmonitorkeyboard, keyprinter2. checkout
To express … … we use … 1. ability2. obligation3. advice4. possibility5. probability6. certainty7. permission1. can, could2. must, have to3. should, ought to4. may, might, can, could5. should, ought to6. must, can’t7. can, could, may
Count your Score 11 – 14 Well done! You really know your stuff!9 – 11 That’s great! Keep it feet!6 – 9 Maybe it’s time for another look!1 – 6 What? Are you sure?
READ AND SMILE JACK: I can’t leave you. JANE: Do you love me so much? JACK: It’s not that, you’re standing on my foot.JACK: I wonder what happened to that dumb blonde I went out with. JANE: I dyed my hair!LIZZY: I wish you were on TV. TOM: Would you love me if I were a TV star? LIZZY: No, but I could switch you off.