The Fringe story began in The Fringe story began in 1947, when the Edinburgh International Festival was launched. It was seen as a post-war initiative to re- unite Europe through culture, and was so successful that it inspired more performers than there was room for.
1947 1947 Eight theatre groups turn up uninvited to the first Edinburgh International Festival. The inn is full so they check in at venues away from the big public stages. The first Fringe has been born. There is no central box office, no Fringe Program, no advance publicity – the interlopers just arrived.
1958 1958 The Festival Fringe Society becomes organized. A constitution is drawn up, a brochure with all non-festival shows published, tickets sold centrally, a club set up and information given. Artistic vetting is to have no place in the societies aims, a decision which remains central to the development of the Fringe.
1966 1966 Tom Stoppard Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is premiered by the Oxford Theatre Group.
1971 1971 John Milligan the first Fringe administrator is employed. The first steps to a more professional Fringe are being taken. 7:84 Scotland perform their first Fringe production at Cranston Street Hall, Trees in the Wind by John McGrath
1980 1980 The annual competition for the Fringe poster design is launched in schools all over Scotland. The competition attracts around 3000 entries every year.
1992 1992 Technology makes the Fringe box office more user-friendly than ever before, rendering the famous queues up the High Street a thing of the past. There is nostalgia for the heady days of one man in his basement office sorting out the mile-high tickets, but for both public and performers booking in, things are much easier.
2000 2000 The Fringe became the first arts organization in the world to sell tickets online in real-time. Over 4,500 bookings were made over the internet.
2001 2001 The Fringe is still getting bigger. In 2001 over 600 groups from 49 different countries performed 1,462 shows in 175 venues across the city. On the first two days of the festival a "2for1" ticket initiative is launched increasing audiences over that weekend by 226%. Ticket sales soar to a record £6,636,093.
“The Scene” – the best actor award “The Scene” – the best actor award “The first prize” – the best play award “The Theatre prize” – The Pantomime, Dance & Physical Theatre and Visual Art award “Perrier Prize” – Comedy award
Fringe 2007 featured 31,000 performances of 2,050 shows in 250 venues Fringe 2007 featured 31,000 performances of 2,050 shows in 250 venues An estimated 18,626 performers were on stage at the Fringe in 2007 40% (815) of the shows were World Premiers and from the remaining 60% of the program 236 of the shows were European premieres and 93 are UK premieres 304 shows at the Fringe were absolutely free
In 2007 there were 6 new awards available to performers. This is in addition to the 15 that were up for grabs in 2006 In 2007 there were 6 new awards available to performers. This is in addition to the 15 that were up for grabs in 2006 At the Fringe in 2007 53,284 tickets were bought in its first week of ticket sales 1.6 Million tickets (1,697,293) were sold during the 2007 Fringe smashing all arts festival records The Fringe has a 75% market share of all attendance at Edinburgh’s year-round festivals and annually generates around £75 million for the Edinburgh and Scottish economy